God used the words from the song, The Only One (The Holy One), by Caedmon's Call to speak to me:
Lord, You are my Prince of PeaceInterestingly, I found the following information about Psalm 23:5:
But this war brings me to my knees
See, there's a table You've prepared
And all my enemies are there
But Where my Shepherd leads
Where else can I go?
Who else fills my cup 'til it overflows?
This verse (Psalm 23:5) was a favorite in London at communion services during World War II, when the bombing was at its peak. In one instance a bomb hit a section of a church building while the worship service continued. The Christians prayed while German bombs dropped, Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
J.R.P. Sclater, The Interpreter's Bible,1955, Vol 4 128
In his book, Falling Into Greatness, Lloyd J. Ogilvie, describes seven things that the Lord promises through Psalm 23:
1. The Lord will work for me.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not be in want.
There is no greater honor or humbling of spirit to be called into God's presence to pray on behalf of someone else. Thank you, God, for these seven promises from Your word that I can use to pray for Rich and his friends. Instill the perseverance and dedication in my life through the work of Your Spirit to be faithful to this calling. Amen2. The Lord will provide for me.
He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside quiet waters.
3. The Lord will keep me going.
He restores my soul
4. The Lord will guide me.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
5. The Lord will protect me.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
6. The Lord will heal me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
7. The Lord will pursue me.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment