This morning, God's family at Faith, face the task of supporting a family who's son has been shot and charged with armed robbery. This young man was a member of our youth group and grew up in the church. His parents are an active part of our family of Faith and deeply committed Christians. Most days I listen to daily devotionals at http://www.pray-as-you-go.com/. While listening to one in October this past year, I was inspired to reach out to this young man. The following is the letter I wrote to him. My heart is not only burdened for his family, but also for him. I pray that I will continue to see him as God sees him and all of us, as children created in His image.
This morning the text was Luke 13:10-17-the story of Jesus healing the crippled woman on the Sabbath. Immediately, God brought you to mind. If you read the story, she was crippled by a spirit for eighteen years-bent over and could not straighten up. I can’t imagine what it would be like to see the world for eighteen years in that way. In some sense, I know that you have been crippled also by a spirit (the demons of addiction) and are seeing the world in a very different way than most of us. While we all have our own issues and problems, it is difficult for those that have not been crippled by the same spirit to know what it’s like.
I also found it interesting that she had been this way for eighteen years...the scripture does not say how old she is, but what if she was your age? What if she had been this way since she was 12? She probably had no friends and felt very alone. I doubt that she had much of a place in society-how could she work?
What’s amazing about this passage, is that Jesus called her to Him-“When Jesus saw her, he called her forward”…..Why did she step forward? It took an amazing amount of courage for her to leave the crowd and once again face the humiliation of her crippling body….but she did. I see you so clearly at the same point. Jesus is calling you to step forward and face the fact that you have lived for eighteen years(?) with these demons. While you have made great progress in decreasing your use of drugs, you are still living as this woman was-bent over and not able to straighten up…seeing life from a perspective that is not at all how the rest of the world sees life.
In verse sixteen, Jesus again confirms that the reason for her crippling body was that “Satan has kept her bound for eighteen long years. Don’t you see, we are fighting the evil one for your life and soul! I am convinced that you would not be alive if it were not for the prayers of many specifically for you.
While I know it’s hard to see (how could you? Your perspective is totally different from most of us!), Jesus is the only one that can set you free from these demons….”Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God.” I don’t know if this is the way God intends to set you free, but why not acknowledge what you are fighting and get some help (spiritual and psychological). Your healing will only come when you call on God Almighty to help you…our prayers can sustain your life, but it’s you who must want to be healed inside and out.
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the power of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12
I did not want you to think that I have given up on you. Because I have known you since before these demons took over your life, I know what great things you can become and I refuse to give up my prayers for one of God’s precious ones. I can’t stand for Big Red to win! He is a deceiver and manipulator and will convince you (and has for so long) that things are hopeless….I assure you they are not.
While I know that you regret many choices you have made in your life and the consequences that have resulted in those choices, God always provides the opportunity to begin again. Once Jesus placed his hands on her, she immediately straightened up and praised God….can you imagine what it was like for her to suddenly see things in a different way. In verse sixteen it says she was “set free”. It literally means to loosen what is bound, to dissolve, sever or break. That is what must happen in order for you to straighten up and see the world and all that God has for you….you must be set free.
As I said at the beginning, I do not have the skills or knowledge to counsel or guide you to healing. But, I do want you to know that you are not in a hopeless situation. God has won the victory over Big Red, but you must surrender yourself to His healing in your life. None of us can do that for you. No matter how many texts, phone calls or pleas for help you make to your family and friends, nothing will change until YOU decide that you want to see life from a different perspective.
My prayer is that you would admit that you are crippled and need professional and spiritual help-step forward from the crowd. It will be a long journey, but all of us will be there praying, encouraging and cheering you on….”but the people were delighted with all the wonderful things He was doing”.
Dear Lord, May we see each other as you see us, your children created in Your image. May we extend Your grace, mercy and love to those that see their life as hopeless. Thank you for making a way for all of us to be set free from our sins through your son, Jesus Christ. Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment