Saturday, January 2, 2010

If you are going to have healthy relationships, you'll need to spend time alone with God.  For Jesus, time alone wasn't a way of escape; it wasn't a selfish right. It was a conversation.  Even his time alone had a relational strength to it.   He talked to the Father, and he listened to him.  Jesus told the Father what was in his heart, and he listened for what was on the Father's heart.  If you will follow this simple pattern, you will quiet your soul and broaden your perspective.  You will focus your life.  And you will strengthen your relationships through this decision to spend time alone with God. 
The Relationship Principles of Jesus, Tom Holladay

Spending time alone with God has become my heart's desire.  I realized several years ago that God was calling me to a life of prayer and to encourage and challenge others to do the same.  I have come to realize that prayer is not just "conversation with God', but a lifestyle of developing a relationship with Him.  (I like to use the analogy of getting married and marriage...getting married (praying) is an event, but being married (prayer) is a process of developing a relationship that requires time together).

I love to get up early before there is any activity in the house,while things are still quiet and start my day with God.  I also enjoy reviewing my day each night with Him before I drift off to sleep.  But, I have to confess that many days I don't speak with Him regularly during the day, unlesss something or someone prompts me to do so.

 It was almost always late afternoon or early evening when I arrived, and as smoke from the evening cooking fires filtered through the rays of the setting sun, the call of the muezzin (a chanter in a mosque who intones the call to prayer) resounded across the fields, punctuated by the tinkling of the little bells tied to the necks of cows and goats as small boys herded the animals home for the night. 
Stones into School, Greg Mortenton

Adhan is called out by the muezzin in the mosque, sometimes from a minaret, five times a day summoning Muslims for mandatory (fard) prayers (salah). There is a second call known as iqama (set up) that summons Muslims to line up for the beginning of the prayers. The main purpose behind the loud pronouncement of adhan five times a day in every mosque is to make available to everyone an easily intelligible summary of Islamic belief. It is intended to bring to the mind of every believer and non-believer the substance of Islamic beliefs, or its spiritual ideology. Loudspeakers are sometimes installed on minarets for the purpose. Wikipedia


While reading Three Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools, I notice that there is a call to prayer in every walk of life for Muslims-no matter if they are in a large metropolitan city or in the most remote part of the country.   There is even an "app for that": Mobile Muezzin provides a new service to the Muslim community to ease the daily practice of the Islam: any Muslim observant can now download on his mobile phone a Java application that provides prayer hours for each day of the year. Also, everyone stops for daily prayers, from the highest official to those in the fields. 

How will I order my days so that prayer (time alone with God) becomes immeshed in the fabric of my day and not just morning or evening? 

Dear Lord, help me to be joyful always and pray continually; giving thanks in all my circumstances.  Use the Holy Spirit to prompt me during the day to stop and talk with you.  Immanuel, God with us!








No comments: