Saturday, July 3, 2010

What Designer Do You Wear?

These days, most of my shopping for clothes is done in consignment and thrift stores.  With the loss of weight and change of jobs, I find myself with clothes that no longer fit or are useful.  I must admit that I am somewhat ashamed of the amount of money that was spent during my sales career days on clothes, not to mention the time spent on trying to find those that were "in style" as well as the storage space required for those that were out of season.  So much time, money and effort spent on "stuff" to adorn our bodies seems almost laughable at this time in my life.
As I read a passage in Galatians this morning, I gave thought to what Paul meant when he wrote:
for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.  Galatians 3:27
Jesus used the same word when He said, "I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."  Luke 24:49
The prophet, Isaiah says the following about being clothed: I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God for He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness.  Isaiah 61:10
As I pondered these verses, thoughts of the media commenting on which designer certain actors and actresses are wearing as they come down the red carpet during those award shows come to mind. Words like "stunning", "beautiful" and "exquisite" are used repeatedly to describe the dresses or suits worn by the rich and famous. 
I can't help but think that if we allowed ourselves to wear the clothes provided by Christ and His sacrifice, those same words would resonate through the voices of heaven and from our Heavenly Father.  When we allow God to be our designer, we're wearing those "clothes" that will allow us to delight and rejoice in God...in other words, we'll look good from the inside out. 
Dear Lord, help me to clothe myself with your designer clothes, garments of salvation and robes of righteousness.  Use me to share those same clothes with others.  Help me to remember that the clothes provided from your designer closet come with power from on High. 
You are Immanuel-God with us! Amen.

No comments: