Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Job Opening: Harvest Field Worker

Then Jesus went throughout all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues,preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and sickness. When He saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were bewildered and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Therefore, ask the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest.” Matthew 9:35-37

As I listened to this scripture this morning, I couldn't help but think about our outreach ministry at church, "LRE"-Loving, Relating and Encouraging.  Each week we go out into the community and make friends and meet neighbors, asking God to lead us to those places that He wants us to go. Those that go each week are very dedicated and have great stories to tell about their experiences each week. 

But, in addition to our LRE ministry, it seems that God desires for us to become a worker in the harvest field in our daily lives.  I don't think God saves one night each week for a few of us to meet the "bewildered and helpless". 

So, what are the job requirements for being God's worker?
1. God-Vision-"He saw the crowds"
The enemy loves to keep us busy so that we do not take the time to "see" those around us each day that need the love of our Savior.  Take that next step in your relationship with one person that God seems to be putting in your path each day.
2. God-Heart-"He had compassion on them"
The Greek word for compassion means of emotions: heart, affection, tenderness, compassion. Just as Jesus opened Lydia's heart to respond to Paul's message in Acts 16:14, Ask God to change your heart so that you can have His heart for those that are lost or need His love.
3. "Worker" Experience-"but the workers are few"
According to Jesus, only a few of us qualify to be a worker. Ask God to give you  life-experiences that could help build your "worker resume". 

A couple of months ago I received an email from a member of our church:
"I do want to share something about the experience this morning. I was planning for a whole day of sitting in the courtroom. So I brought my Bible and Intercessory Prayer by Dutch Sheets to read. I hadn't gotten very far into the chapters of Intercessory Prayer. I picked back up with my reading in Chapter 3 about re-presenting Jesus and what is intercession-how the work has already been laid out and prepared, that God needs someone (an ambassador) to represent Jesus and use His authority here on Earth to distribute what God has prepared in lives around us.

Then, I read the story about the little (insane) girl tied to a tree. It wasn't just luck or coincidence that I was reading this story while sitting in that courtroom with several people walking around in chains(a VERY visual picture of people chained by their sins). As I read the story and then sat to ponder on what I read, I heard the judge telling an inmate in chains to wake up and face the music. God prompted me to pray for that person, to awaken her spiritually and to remove from her eyes what has been blinding her to God, interceding on her behalf, no matter what she had done to put her there physically in chains. As I began praying for others in the room, the air got thick and heavy and smells began circulating around me. At one time I could smell overwhelming alcohol, another time a sweet nauseating scent, and then a nasty stench, all coming and going to the point my head started hurting and I started getting quesy."

Lord, with the power of Your Holy Spirit, change our vision and heart so that we can become a qualified worker to be sent into the harvest field. And, when the call comes for a worker to be sent, help us to gladly go to share Your love and healing power to those that are bewildered and helpless.  You are Immanuel, God with us!

No comments: