The command we have from Christ is blunt: Loving God includes loving people. You've got to love both.
1 John 4:21 The Message
Through his example, Jesus shows us how to love one person at a time. Jesus could only physically be with one person or group of persons as he walked this earth in his human body. How did he love? He didn't spend all night make to-do lists of which people he would show love to the next day. He didn't have some kind of prioritization grid through which everyone who wanted his love had to pass. He simply loved people as the opportunity arose during the normal traffic patterns of his life.....Consistent love can only be expressed one opportunity at a time.
The Relationsip Principles of Jesus, Tom Holladay
During a conversation with some friends at lunch on Christmas, we discussed how many folks I know on the road on which I live. I meet and talk with them as I walk (which I like to do as often as possible). Sometimes it's just a quick hello but more often than not, the conversations turn to family or recent events in their lives.
I had a full day of cooking ahead since we planned to have our "big" family dinner the day after Christmas, but felt the need to get outside for a brief walk that morning. Usually, my walk is with Zoey, Kelsey's dog, toward the farm at the end of the road. That morning, I decided to walk the other way since Zoey was snuggled up with Kelsey, who was sleeping late.
As only God could do, I ran into a neighbor that was outside moving dirt to make a new driveway beside his house. I asked him the question that most of us would ask the day after Christmas, "How was your all's Christmas?" When he answered "terrible", I was caught off-guard.
Sadly, his sister who lived in Georgia was murdered by her husband. His brother discovered her body and the body of her husband (murder-suicide) the weekend before Christmas. Oddly enough, I had already heard this story at a gathering on Christmas day, but did not know that it was the sister of my neighbor. As our neighbor recounted the story, I was moved to tears (as anyone would be). When I asked what I could do for them, he said, "just pray that we will be able to make it through". God taught me long ago to never walk away from a prayer request, so we prayed together with the dirt-moving machine running right in the middle of the road.
I don't think it was a coincidence that I felt that little nudge to take a walk that morning. I know that God wanted to pour out His love to my neighbor that day. It had little to do with me (How could I possibly say or do anything that could console someone at a time like that?) but had everything to do with God using me to be his hands, feet and heart.....one opportunity at a time.
Dear Lord, Help me to recognize those opportunities that You provide each and everyday to share Your love. Help us to give way to Your love in our lives so that it can be given to those we meet everyday. Immanuel-God with us!
No comments:
Post a Comment