Monday, August 2, 2010

Change of Plans

Jesus replied, "They do not need to go away.  You give them something to eat."  "We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish", they answered.  "Bring them here to me", he said.  Matthew 14:16-18

For the last several years, my husband and I have taken a few days away from home in celebration of our anniversary.  This year, the discussion of where and when centered around a Eastern Apiary Society Meeting in North Carolina (he's a beekeeper) that was scheduled during our anniversay date.  Since the meeting was going to be held in a desirable location (Boone, NC), I envisioned a weekend prior to the meeting in a quaint bed & breakfast in the mountains.  I would accompany him to Boone where I would work during the day while he attended the meeting and we would enjoy our evenings together during the week.  As we started to plan the details, it was apparent that the extra expenses of the weekend prior to the meeting couldn't be justified with the upcoming household and personal expenses (mainly, extended dental work for me-not the anniversary present I had planned).  Change of plans #1.

About a month before our departure, I learned that one of my husband's beekeeping buddies was planning on attending the same meeting, following us on our trip to the meeting and being with us during the week. Change of plans #2.

So, as I read and listen to the story of the Feeding of the Five Thousand in Matthew 14:13-21 this morning, God reminds me that the disciples had a change of plans, too.  They were counting on sending the large crowds away to get something to eat.  I also imagined them feeling exhausted and wanting Jesus a little for themselves after a full day.  "They do not need to go away." Change of Plans #1

"Okay, okay, Jesus, they can stay, but how do you propose to feed them?"  "You give them something to eat." What, are you kidding? "We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish".  "Bring them here to me". Change of Plans #2

And the rest of the story is the miracle that we know so well. 

I don't know what God has in store for me this week with the change of my plans and expectations, but I will surrender this time to Him and trust that His ways are higher than my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts (Isaiah 55:8-9)......and wait expectantly for the miracle....He is Immanuel, God with us! Amen

No comments: