Thursday, April 1, 2010

Maundy Thursday & Faith Foot-Washing

Hearing the scripture of John 13:5 this morning brought back memories of our pastor, Amelia, washing our feet at one of the services early in her ministry at God's church at Faith.  It was one of the most moving services that we have had.  Seeing one of the older men in our congregation walk to the altar bare-footed is a memory I will hold dear in my heart forever.  Now, as we have gotten the news that she will be called to another appointment, it is even more special to have had our feet washed by His servant,Amelia.  I wonder if the disciples had the same feelings when they heard that Jesus, who had washed their feet, was leaving them?We have been blessed by the messages Amelia has brought to us from God.  She clearly is intentional about listening and preaching His word. 

Jesus's instructions after He washed their feet was very clear-

Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.  I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.  Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them  John 13:14-17

So, following the example of Jesus requires me to humble myself in service to those that God brings in my path.  I am also challenged to fix my eyes on Jesus, not on the messenger (a very good message for those of us that are grieving over the upcoming loss of our pastor). 

Dear Lord, as I listen to you today, help me to humble and see myself as washing the feet of those that you bring in my path each day.  Thank you for the wonderful service of your servant, Amelia.  Help us to keep our eyes fixed on You as we continue our journey at your church, Faith.  You are Immanuel, God with us. Amen

No comments: