Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dancing Before Jesus

David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might,
while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord
with shouts and the sound of trumpets. 
2 Samuel 6:14

Worship with abandon is an intimate experience. A Heart Like His, Beth Moore

I love to watch people dance!  Obviously, from the ratings of shows like Dancing With the Stars, so do lots of others.  We've all watched with amazement how groups of people from all walks of life (yes, even a group of prison inmates) danced to Michael Jackson's, Thriller.  Ballet, jazz, swing, ballroom, hip-hop...it doesn't matter-I'm drawn to the way that the human body responds to the music.

So, if God made us in His image, why shouldn't dancing be a form of worship? There are several references to dancing in the Psalms. Growing up in a Baptist church, we were discouraged from dancing, which could explain my being drawn to that form of artistic expression.  But, as I worshiped God this morning, I imagined Him dancing with me...and then all those in heaven dancing together...using their bodies as a form of worship to the Holy One. 

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to attend a Prayer conference in South Alabama.  Since many of those in attendance came from a more charismatic church, the worship was much more expressive.  One of the songs they sang was, Dance with me, O Lover of My Soul.  As we sang together, with many dancing in worship to the Lord, I experienced a time of worship that was very intimate and moving.

Dear Lord, open my heart and mind to express my worship to you with abandon...
using my whole body.  I thank you for creating music of all kinds that draws us to worship You,
our Lord and King (and possibly, dance partner).  Amen

Dance with me, O lover of my soul, to the song of all songs
Romance me, O lover of my soul, to the song of all songs

No comments: