Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me,your right hand will hold me fast.
Psalm 139:7 - 10
Once there was a little bunny who wanted to run away.
So he said to his mother, “I am running away.”
"If you run away,” said his mother, “I will run after you.
For you are my little bunny.
This passage in Psalm 139 always reminds me of the book by Margaret Wise Brown, The Runaway Bunny. I loved reading this book to my girls when they were younger. I have to wonder if the author had this passage in mind when she wrote the book because it is a wonderful analogy of how God pursues us, no matter where we are in life.
This morning while I was reading Ann Spangler's devotional, Praying the Names of God, I ran across the fourth century prayer called St. Patrick's Breastplate:
Christ be beside me, Christ be before me,
Christ be behind me, King of my heart;
Christ be within me, Christ be below me,
Christ be above me, never to part.
Christ on my right hand, Christ on my left hand,
Christ all around me, shield in the strife;
Christ in my sleeping, Christ in my sitting,
Christ in my rising, light of my life.
Christ be beside me, Christ be before me,
Christ be behind me, King of my heart;
Christ be within me, Christ be below me,
Christ be above me, never to part.
Check out this beautiful rendition by Angelina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJx_Lu4PymE
Dear Lord, thank you for never giving up on me and pursuing me throughout my life. Help me to be aware of your presence as I pray the prayer above....Immanuel... God with us.

No comments:
Post a Comment