Observing a Sabbath rest makes us stop and in so doing contributes to our health and well-being. The commandment to rest reminds us that God created everything in six days and rested on the seventh day. If this is good enough for God, the injunction implies, surely it should be good enough for mere mortals. It also serves as a reminder to live humbly. We are not God. We are not called to "do it all." Albert Scariato, The Washington Post
see full article
After an afternoon with my girls at the movies and then home for them to assemble the nativity (a yearly tradition), I realized that each of us had made a choice of what to do with our time. As their mother, I was overjoyed that they had chosen to spend several hours with me. With Kelsey in school and Caitlin with a life of her own, I realized that the choice to be together came with many sacrifices, which made it all the more special. Not only did we laugh and cry together (thanks to the movie), but I believe our souls rested in the love that we shared with each other. And, with that soul rest comes some actual physical results. Those of you that in the medical field know that when our bodies are at rest, healing happens.
So, how can we experience that healing for our soul without entering a Sabbath-rest? For me, it's not a destination, but a journey...I like the way The Message translates this verse....
So, let's keep at it and eventually arrive at the place of rest.
Dear sweet Lord, help us to take time during this busy holiday season to experience the healing that happens when we rest and abide in Your love. Help us to make room in our hearts for You. Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment